Tuesday, March 9, 2010

GDC: A Learning Experience (Tuesday)

I'm realizing I'm going to want to nearly constantly add things to this blog as I learn more at GDC. So, I'm going to create a post each day and add to it throughout the day. Here is what I've learned today:
Decompress
The parties and constant networking can get draining, so it's good to carve out some time for yourself to recharge before your next socializing bout. San Francisco is a center of art and culture and really good food, so explore!

1. Find something interesting on a map and go find it. Besides being a fun adventure, I found this gave me a reason to learn my way around downtown San Francisco, which I imagine will be very useful when I'm wandering around after dark looking for a party. (Edit: I was right. It was.)

2. Look up! The architecture in San Francisco is absolutely breathtaking. I realize I'm a bit biased from of having a degree in Art History, but I imagine anyone with eyes could enjoy it.

3. Go to the SFMoMA. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is very close to the convention and they have a student discount if you bring a student ID. I'm planning on going Thursday morning, since they're closed on Wednesdays.

4. Go to Chinatown. I have always wanted to go to the San Francisco Chinatown, and I'm so glad I made time to do it today. It is so pretty! And the vendors are all so friendly. I'm also glad I budgeted for it. My wallet is much lighter now. I bought a set of Chinese spoons, a set of Japanese bowls, and a real cast iron teapot. And yes, the spoons and the teapot are both lime green.

1 comment: